Pearl S. Buck Online Literary Journal – Volume 7, Issue No. 1, Winter 2022
Pearl S. Buck Online Literary Journal is a publication of The Writing Center. The journal is part of our ongoing mission to spread the literary legacy of Pearl S. Buck by aiding writers in their development and by giving them opportunities to be published. This call for submissions goes out to past and present PSB Writers Guild members, Writing Center workshop attendees & presenters and PSBVA volunteers.
Make sure your subject matter and language are suitable to be published by this Center.
Theme – The theme of each issue will be chosen from those found in Pearl S. Buck’s own writing.
Our Winter 2022 issue’s co-themes are Chaos and Order. These two themes cover all genres nicely – memoir, essay, science and other fiction, romance, humor, adventure, poetry and even children’s stories.
Please remember to review your entry to be sure it fits within the stated theme.
Deadline / Number of Entries / Length Limits
Deadline is November 30th for the Winter 2022 issue.
Email the editors listed below by filling in the Submission Details (as shown below) on page 1 of your story/poem entry. Begin page 2 with your title, but do not repeat your name .
Submissions limited to five (5) poems or flash fiction (300-word limit each), or two (2) pieces of fiction, essay or memoir (5,000-word limit each); or short story (limit 3,000 words). When selecting the contents of the Journal, editors will try to limit entries to only two per author, preferably from different genres. Please accompany each separate submission with your Submission Details cover page.
Submission Details (print these four items only on Page 1 of all your submissions)
(Begin Page 2 of your story/poem entry with the title only and don’t repeat your name.)
1) Format work in Times New Roman 12pt. with 1” left & right margins, single spaced.
2) Editors will use the Chicago Manual of Style or the MLA Style Sheet to keep the Literary Journal uniform.
3) Submissions accepted online only. No hard copy submissions will be accepted.
4) Attach copy in an editable Word .doc file to your email.
5) Email to the appropriate editor shown below. Submissions will be acknowledged within 48 hours via email.
6) Keep a record of each submission, to whom sent, the acknowledgement of receipt, any subsequent edited and revised versions, and the final editors’ decision.
Dr. Anne K. Kaler – Fiction and Nonfiction at firstname.lastname@example.org
Susan E. Wagner – Poetry at email@example.com
Linda Donaldson – Memoirs and Essays at firstname.lastname@example.org
The following four editors will decide on the entries for each issue: Dr. Anne K. Kaler, Susan E. Wagner, Linda K. Donaldson, and Cynthia L. Louden. Acceptance notifications will be made by December 15th.